What are the Advantages of Switching to LED?
LED Advantages Over Other Bulbs
The advantages of switching to LED are numerous. Here are just some of the benefits:
- LEDs use much less electricity than other bulbs
- Have extremely long rated lives
- Produce very little heat
- Do not emit UV or infrared
- Contain no mercury, are resistant to shock and vibration
- Can operate effectively in extremely cold environments
LEDs are engineered for being extremely long-lasting products. Many LEDs have a rated life of up to 50,000 hours. This is approximately 50 times longer than a standard incandescent, 20-25 times longer than a standard halogen, and 8-10 times longer than a standard CFL.
Used 12 hours a day, a 50,000 bulb will last more than 11 years. Used 8 hours a day, it will last 17 years!
Originally published Sept. 1, 2012 and updated Feb. 1, 2017.